This update extends the Key Management Service (KMS) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to allow enterprise licensing of Windows 8 and of Windows Server 2012.
KMS provides support for the following KMS client activations:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 7 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)
If you have a KMS host that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Windows 7 SP1, follow these steps to perform an upgrade:
- Install this update (KB2691586).
- Restart the computer when you are prompted.
- To install a new KMS host key for Windows 8 activation or for Windows Server 2012 activation, run the following command:
cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KMS host key>Note In this command, replace <KMS host key> with the new KMS host key for Windows 8 activation or for Windows Server 2012 activation.
- To activate the new KMS host key on the host computer, run the following command:
cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato