By default, the OneDrive sync client installs per user, meaning OneDrive.exe needs to be installed for each user account on the PC under the %localappdata% folder. With the new per-machine installation option, you can install OneDrive under the “Program Files (x86)” directory, meaning all profiles on the computer will use the same OneDrive.exe binary. Other than where the sync client is installed, everything else stays the same.
The new per-machine sync client provides:
- Automatic transitioning from the previous OneDrive sync client (Groove.exe)
- Automatic conversion from per-user to per-machine
- Automatic updates when a new version is available
The per-machine sync client supports syncing OneDrive and SharePoint files in Microsoft 365 and in SharePoint Server 2019.
- All Windows versions supported by the sync client.
- Sync client build 19.043.0304.0003 or later. For info about which sync client build is available in each ring, see New OneDrive sync client release notes.
- Download OneDriveSetup.exe.
- Run “OneDriveSetup.exe /allusers” from a command prompt window (will result in a UAC prompt) or by using SCCM. This will install the sync client under the “Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OneDrive” directory. When setup completes, OneDrive will start. If accounts were added on the computer, they'll be migrated automatically.
In my scenarios I used the this silent switches: /allusers /silent